Sunday, September 2, 2007

Dead to Me!

(Luke 15:24) “For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.”


The prodigal’s father declared his son was lost and dead! Every adolescent wars within emotionally and without intellectually and physically in a harrowing attempt to find themselves and their place in the world but unfortunately it has its initial manifestation in the family home; often leaving casualties strewn all over the place … mostly loved ones! The ones who don’t want the devastation the world can exact upon the unsuspecting youth to happen. So in the name of protection … “It’s for your own good”; they unknowingly add to the overall frustration levels of the adolescent creating an inevitable, explosive, confrontation and with it rebellion. In turn the loved ones feel unappreciated and offended at the youth’s insolence and accordingly stand up for their point of view of what’s right in the circumstance.

The father under threat in his position, states to his son emotionally “Whilst you are under my roof and eat my food you’ll obey my rules and contribute your share to the running of the household or you can get out! Now, if you leave, as far as I’m concerned, you’d be lost … lost to all good reason, lost to all the dreams I’ve had for you and thus you’d stop being my son as your disobedience to my authority would be intolerable. Therefore, if you choose to rebel against me … you’d be as dead to me.”

Well the scenario is set for a major heated argument; it has become really personal and in your face with nowhere to hide. The father is heaving and turning red, the son is exasperated whilst paling to a drained expression … neither wanted nor expected it to turn out this way but there was no stopping it now. The prodigal is hearing his father’s ultimatum through sensitized ears … “So he thinks I have no potential in my own right, useless and lost am I? Dead to you am I? Well maybe you’re dead to me too and yes, I’ll be glad to get lost! Anywhere else but here with you!” The prodigal leaves.

The father testy and still shaking declares … “He’s no son of mine, good riddance! … the time finally arrives when the boy is old enough and capable enough to contribute something worthwhile and then, he just up and takes off … he’s mad, lost the plot!” Both the father and the son have had violent damage rendered to their self-esteem and relevant value systems through the heated demeaning exchange. Leaving both trying to justify their actions to themselves and those closest to them whilst licking their wounds from rejection, betrayal and abandonment.

What tragedy … you can’t live with them, you can’t live without them … loving them and hating them at the same time … woe is me!

Oh God please deliver us from the, I’m right, you’re wrong mindset in Jesus’ name. Amen.

Blessed are those who overcome

Pastor Paul